|William Turner c.1844 at Old Kents Hill Road was included|
on the Factory Square history walk on 10/11/13.
This parcel is located on the easterly line of lot #211. Water flowage rights (from the adjoining stream and dam) were reserved for Joshua Bean's tan yard. The southeast corner of the tan yard bordered on this property.*
|This dam on Handy Stream is on the Old Kents Hill Rd|
was built by Joshua Bean in 1817 and supplied the
water necessary for his tannery.
UPDATE 6/24/2014: Another reference to Cameron was found in 1815 when Joshua Bean and his brother-in-law bought land part/of lot #211 at this location. The deed (book 24 page 111) gave all rights to Bean and Pierce except the dwelling house where Collin Cameron was living at the time. One year later Bean and Pierce bought 4 acres of land on the bank of White's Brook (now called Handy) on the western line of lot #212. One year later, in 1817, Bean bought Pierce's interest in this 4 acre piece and Pierce gave Bean the right to build a dam and flood part of his land for use of a mill. Bean's occupation was listed as tanner.***
Joshua Bean was son of Elisha and grandson of Joshua Bean, the original Bean in Readfield. Joshua's uncle, Joel O. Bean, built and ran a sawmill, gristmill and fulling mill on Torsey Pond. He and three of his sons had homesteads on Thundercastle and Chase Roads. We will be holding History Walks at two locations in that area in the fall of 2014. There will also be a presentation at Maranacook Adult Ed about "The Beans of Readfield Maine" the fall of 2014.
NOTE: There were two Bean's mill ponds in this area - the other we now know as Torsey Pond. From what I can gather, the two were differentiated by being called Bean's mill pond (on White or Handy Brook) and Joel's pond or Joel Bean's mill pond (Torsey).
* Kennebec County Registry of Deeds Book 165 Pages 412-413 1/4/1847
** Kennebec County Registry of Deeds Book 127 Book 403
*** Kennebec County Registry of Deeds Book 42 Page 257-259; book 24 page 235